KTM 990 ecu help

Motorcycle ECU Projects
RHARR

KTM 990 ecu help

Post by RHARR »

Hi guys,

Super new to this type of stuff. I came here to ask some advice

I got a KTM 990, there is already some ECU tuning software for it that (tune ECU) works pretty darn good, but it seems locked down.

I would like to know if there is a way to use other Rom software to access the ECU.

I am asking this cause it seem the KTM ECU is pretty open and if you have the right Rom software to access all the parameter you could have good control over the ECU.

What got me thinking about the software being locked down and not the ECU was a discussion about various maps for a '10 KTM 990R. There are several maps for the bike, a EU and US map. The US map will throw a CEL if you disconnect all the emissions stuff and deactivate it in the software (SAI). But if you load the EU map disconnect the emissions stuff and deactivate (SAI) it the CEL will go off.

To me that seems like the hex/map file does a lot more than just control fuel and ignition curve and would love to do a side by side comparison of what makes them different.

It got me thinking how can I get this HEX file into other software to see what other stuff I can tweak. It would be nice to just log into the ECU and edit the HEX in it on the fly without screwing around with loading EU maps, us maps or what ever.

Any advice would be great, I can post HEX files and stuff if you guys want to look at them.
RHARR

Re: KTM 990 ecu help

Post by RHARR »

I am looking and asking around.

as far as I know its a Keihin ECU and it's used in ever KTM 990 motor from super duke 990 to SM990 to the adventure 990.

I think Tune ECU uses K-line vs can bus.
The ecu is basically the same ECU for 2008 - 2012 bikes just different flashing internally. The 09 + now have a immobilizer feature. But it has been reported you can take a old ecu and just plug it into the harness of a newer 990 adventure and the bike runs fine and gets rid of the RFID immobilizer crap. There is also some sort of difference between the 990 and the 990r the R have a little more power, but have the same everything motor wise. So KTM probably messed with fueling and ignition a bit to get a little more out of it.

This is what is on the ECU
V2I001
Made in UK
Keihin PBT-GF30k

Here are a few screen shots from the Tune ECU, (btw it's free and the maps are too, just install and open up a map will give you a basic lay of the land)

it does error reports, reads sensors, tests stuff, adjusts ignition, fuel, turns off a few things ( emission pump, o2 sensor, 2nd throttle plate, idle speed control and epc - wheelie control) and resets stuff.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/rharr ... 4epxma.jpg

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/rharr ... qofwcu.jpg

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/rharr ... zua8z2.jpg

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/rharr ... aj0uiu.jpg

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/rharr ... 9bjgdm.jpg
PVTech
Site Admin

Post by PVTech »

RHARR

welcome on board. For sure the available tuning softwares for your bike do a pretty good job for what you pay for.
A hex file most of the times has the ECU code besides the available maps/parameters.
The software that you mention does what everyone wants and even more. I dont see a reason to start doing comparisons on what a hex editor can do to your file and what the tuning software does. In fact the tuning software shows you real life values instead of some raw values that the hex editor will show you. Editing a rom file using a hex editor requires some great knowledge and of course you need a calculator in hand if you want to alter any raw values.
Personaly i would stick around with the software that you have over there and ask the software's developer for new features. That is the easiest that you can do and the developer does the hard work. :)
NiCarDoctor

Post by NiCarDoctor »

yesterday i program successful a 690 duke '07
(hw:vag-com FT232RL sw:TuneECU) without any prob.
if you search for tune up your 990 ,first of all Need backup your factory EP & FI files (for safety in case you need recovery ecu).after that you can mod yours OR use some "ready" tune map (attached here-- http://www.tuneecu.com/KTM_Tune_list.html).
oh,, don't forget Every time you finish ecu upgrade procedure the throttle calibration ;)
RHARR

Post by RHARR »

[quote="PVTech"]RHARR

welcome on board. For sure the available tuning softwares for your bike do a pretty good job for what you pay for.
A hex file most of the times has the ECU code besides the available maps/parameters.
The software that you mention does what everyone wants and even more. I dont see a reason to start doing comparisons on what a hex editor can do to your file and what the tuning software does. In fact the tuning software shows you real life values instead of some raw values that the hex editor will show you. Editing a rom file using a hex editor requires some great knowledge and of course you need a calculator in hand if you want to alter any raw values.
Personaly i would stick around with the software that you have over there and ask the software's developer for new features. That is the easiest that you can do and the developer does the hard work. :)[/quote]

I may not have been exactly clear, I don't necessarily want to hex edit the file with a hex editor. I would like to figure out a way to open the hex file in another tuner program like Tunerpro or romraider or something else (still learning about all the different ones) that may let me see more of what can be done. Like I said earlier it would be cool to see the difference between a US map for a '10 990R and a Euro map for the same bike, since it is known there is a flag some where that is looking for a device on the US bike but not then Euro bike. OR for example having the option to turn off the immobilizer feature since the sensor rings that talks to the ECU are know to break and leave you stranded in the middle of no where. Which seem possible since the same ECU is used on '08 bikes with no immobilizer and '10 bike with immobilizer, again there should be a flag are something for that. I have heard it use to be possible to flash a '08 map on a '10 ecu and that would remove the immobilizer feature but it seems tune ECU has some trigger now that doesn't let you flash the wrong rom. My point being TuneECU is great software but seems to be a little strapped down.

[quote="NiCarDoctor"]yesterday i program successful a 690 duke '07
(hw:vag-com FT232RL sw:TuneECU) without any prob.
if you search for tune up your 990 ,first of all Need backup your factory EP & FI files (for safety in case you need recovery ecu).after that you can mod yours OR use some "ready" tune map (attached here-- http://www.tuneecu.com/KTM_Tune_list.html).
oh,, don't forget Every time you finish ecu upgrade procedure the throttle calibration ;)[/quote]

I know how to use TuneECU it's good stuff, but it doesn't give you a lot of flexibility especially in what I want to do as stated above, you are basically reliant on what ever bin/hex file is posted on the internet. For example if there is only 1 map (non euro) for a '12 990 and some one wants to remove the emission equipment they have to wire up some resistors into the plugs of the removed equipment because they can not just flash a euro map that would tell the ECU to ignore it. Wouldn't it be better to be able to trace what line of code is causing that and turn it into a on/off function?
PVTech
Site Admin

Post by PVTech »

RHARR wrote:
> [quote="PVTech"]RHARR
>
> welcome on board. For sure the available tuning softwares for your bike do
> a pretty good job for what you pay for.
> A hex file most of the times has the ECU code besides the available
> maps/parameters.
> The software that you mention does what everyone wants and even more. I
> dont see a reason to start doing comparisons on what a hex editor can do to
> your file and what the tuning software does. In fact the tuning software
> shows you real life values instead of some raw values that the hex editor
> will show you. Editing a rom file using a hex editor requires some great
> knowledge and of course you need a calculator in hand if you want to alter
> any raw values.
> Personaly i would stick around with the software that you have over there
> and ask the software's developer for new features. That is the easiest that
> you can do and the developer does the hard work. :)[/quote]
>
> I may not have been exactly clear, I don't necessarily want to hex edit the
> file with a hex editor. I would like to figure out a way to open the hex
> file in another tuner program like Tunerpro or romraider or something else
> (still learning about all the different ones) that may let me see more of
> what can be done. Like I said earlier it would be cool to see the
> difference between a US map for a '10 990R and a Euro map for the same
> bike, since it is known there is a flag some where that is looking for a
> device on the US bike but not then Euro bike. OR for example having the
> option to turn off the immobilizer feature since the sensor rings that
> talks to the ECU are know to break and leave you stranded in the middle of
> no where. Which seem possible since the same ECU is used on '08 bikes with
> no immobilizer and '10 bike with immobilizer, again there should be a flag
> are something for that. I have heard it use to be possible to flash a '08
> map on a '10 ecu and that would remove the immobilizer feature but it seems
> tune ECU has some trigger now that doesn't let you flash the wrong rom. My
> point being TuneECU is great software but seems to be a little strapped
> down.
>
> [quote="NiCarDoctor"]yesterday i program successful a 690 duke
> '07
> (hw:vag-com FT232RL sw:TuneECU) without any prob.
> if you search for tune up your 990 ,first of all Need backup your factory
> EP & FI files (for safety in case you need recovery ecu).after that you
> can mod yours OR use some "ready" tune map (attached here--
> http://www.tuneecu.com/KTM_Tune_list.html).
> oh,, don't forget Every time you finish ecu upgrade procedure the throttle
> calibration ;)[/quote]
>
> I know how to use TuneECU it's good stuff, but it doesn't give you a lot of
> flexibility especially in what I want to do as stated above, you are
> basically reliant on what ever bin/hex file is posted on the internet. For
> example if there is only 1 map (non euro) for a '12 990 and some one wants
> to remove the emission equipment they have to wire up some resistors into
> the plugs of the removed equipment because they can not just flash a euro
> map that would tell the ECU to ignore it. Wouldn't it be better to be able
> to trace what line of code is causing that and turn it into a on/off
> function?

Sure, the TuneECU software doesnt give you all the features of the ECU, neither will tunerpro or romraider or any other free editor.
Those editors need a definition file to show you the parameters of each ECU rom. That definition file is not something that you will find somewhere on the internet, especially for your ECU. Maybe someone has done some work on that and you migh be able to download it somewhere but you will have to create the definition and that requires knowledge, technical skills, time and money.
I just want to make sure that you already understand that by having the file from the ECU opened in tunerpro or romraider, wont give you magically all the parameters. ;)